<< Vers l'annuaire
Pierrick LabbéUniversity lecturer Team Evolution, Vecteurs, Adaptation et Symbioses
Phone +33 (0)4 67 14 41 78
Localization Bâtiment 22, 1er étage
My research aims at understanding how a species adapts to its environment and the consequences of this adaptation at the genomic level. My model is the resistance to insecticides in mosquitoes.
I try to understand 1) the genetic basis of this adaptation, including the role of gene duplications, 2) the fitness impacts of these adaptive mutations, and 3) the dynamics of these adaptations in natural populations. We use molecular biology analyses, population cage experiments and computer modeling.
I’m teaching at the Faculty of Science at the University of Montpellier. For first years, I am in charge of teaching formal genetics, gametogenesis and reproduction. For third years, I’m in charge of the Ecoly and Biology of the Organisms formation (L3 EBO). I also am in charge of the basic evolutionary ecology course (population dynamics, natural selection, evolutionary lineage diversification) and I’m coordinating a course about sciences history and bioethics.
I’m also participating in various Master modules . I’m notably in charge of a M1 course about vectors, their biology and their ecology.
- Milesi P., B. S. Assogba, C. M. Atyame, N. Pocquet, A. Berthomieu, S. Unal, P. Makoundou, M. Weill and P. Labbé. 2017. The evolutionary fate of heterogeneous gene duplications: a precarious overdominant equilibrium between environment, sublethality and complementation. Mol Ecol, in press, doi: 10.1111/mec.14463.
- Pham Thi, K. L., L. Briant, L. Gavotte, P. Labbé, M. Perriat-Sanguinet, E. Cornillot, T. Duoc Nguyen, T. Yen Tran, V. Phong Nguyen, V. Soai Devaux, C. Afelt, A. Tran, C. Cuong Phan, T. Nga Tran, N. Duong and R. Frutos. 2017. Incidence of dengue and chikungunya viruses in mosquitoes and human patients in border provinces of Vietnam. Parasites & Vectors, 10: 556
- Milesi, P., M. Weill, T. Lenormand and P. Labbé. 2017. Heterogeneous gene duplications can be adaptive because they permanently associate overdominant alleles. Evolution Letters, 1: 169-180.
- Alout, H., P. Labbé, F. Chandre and A. Cohuet. 2017. Malaria vector control still matters despite insecticide resistance. Trends Parasitol, 33: 610-618.
- Grigoraki, L., D. Pipini, P. Labbé, M. Weill and J. Vontas. 2017. Carboxylesterase gene amplifications associated with insecticide resistance in Aedes albopictus: geographical distribution and evolutionary origin. PLoS Neg. Trop. Dis. 11: e0005533.
- Assogba B.S.*, P. Milesi*, L.S. Djogbénou, A. Berthomieu, P. Makoundou, A.S. Fiston-Lavier, K. Belkhir, P. Labbé and M. Weill. 2016. The ace-1 locus is amplified in all Anopheles gambiae resistant mosquitoes: fitness consequences of homogeneous and heterogeneous duplications. PLoS Biology, 14: e2000618.
- Milesi, P., T. Lenormand, C. Lagneau, M. Weill and P. Labbé. 2016. Relating fitness to long-term environmental variations in natura. Mol Ecol, 25: 5483–5499.
- Atyame, C.M., P. Labbé, C. Lebon, M. Weill, R. Moretti, F. Marini, L.C. Gouagna, M. Calvitti and P. Tortosa. 2016. Comparison of irradiation and Wolbachia based approaches for sterile-male strategies targeting Aedes albopictus. PLoS ONE, 11: e0146834.
- Assogba, B. S., L. S. Djogbénou, P. Milesi, A. Berthomieu, J. Perez, D. Ayala, F. Chandre, M. Makoutodé, Labbé, and M. Weill. 2015. An ace-1 gene duplication resorbs the fitness cost associated with resistance in Anopheles gambiae, the main malaria mosquito. Sci. Rep. 5:14529.
- Alout, H., Labbé*, a Berthomieu, P. Makoundou, P. Fort, N. Pasteur, and M. Weill. 2015. High chlorpyrifos resistance in Culex pipiens mosquitoes: strong synergy between resistance genes. Heredity. 1–8.
- Grigoraki, L., J. Lagnel, I. Kioulos, A. Kampouraki, E. Morou, Labbé, M. Weill, and J. Vontas. 2015. Transcriptome profiling and genetic study reveal amplified carboxylesterase genes implicated in temephos resistance, in the Asian tiger mosquito Aedes albopictus. PLoS Negl. Trop. Dis. 9:e0003771.
- Atyame, C. M., Labbé, F. Rousset, M. Beji, P. Makoundou, O. Duron, E. Dumas, N. Pasteur, A. Bouattour, P. Fort, and M. Weill. 2015. Stable coexistence of incompatible Wolbachia along a narrow contact zone in mosquito field populations. Mol. Ecol. 24:508–521.
- Diop, M. M., N. Moiroux, F. Chandre, H. Martin-Herrou, P. Milesi, O. Boussari, A. Porciani, S. Duchon, Labbé, and C. Pennetier. 2015. Behavioral cost & overdominance in Anopheles gambiae. PLoS One 10:e0121755.
- Pocquet, N., F. Darriet, B. Zumbo, P. Milesi, J. Thiria, V. Bernard, C. Toty, Labbé, and F. Chandre. 2014. Insecticide resistance in disease vectors from Mayotte: an opportunity for integrated vector management. Parasit. Vectors 7:299.
- Labbé, P., P. Milesi, A. Yébakima, N. Pasteur, M. Weill and T. Lenormand. 2014. Gene-dosage effects on fitness in recent adaptive duplications: ace-1 in the mosquito Culex pipiens. Evolution in press.
- Atyame, C.M., P. Labbé, E. Dumas, P. Milesi, S. Charlat, P. Fort and M. Weill. 2014. Wolbachia divergence and the evolution of cytoplasmic incompatibility in Culex pipiens. PLOS ONE 9, e87336
- Pocquet N., P. Milesi, P. Makoundou, S. Unal, B. Zumbo, C. Atyame, F. Darriet, J.-S. Dehecq, J. Thiria, A. Bheecarry, D. P. Iyaloo, M. Weill, F. Chandre and P. Labbé. 2013. Multiple insecticide resistances in the disease vector Culex p. quinquefasciatus from western Indian Ocean. PLoS One, 8:10.
- Osta, M. A., Z. J. Rizk, P. Labbé, M. Weill and K. Knio. 2012. Insecticide resistance to organophosphates in Culex pipiens complex from Lebanon. Parasites & Vectors 5:132
- Alout, H., P. Labbé*, A. Berthomieu, L. Djogbénou, J.-P. Leonetti, P. Fort and M. Weill. 2012. Novel AChE Inhibitors for Sustainable Insecticide Resistance Management. PloS one 7:e47125.
- Niranjan Reddy, B. P., P. Labbé and V. Corbel. 2012. Culex genome is not just another genome for comparative genomics. Parasites & Vectors 5:2–5.
- Decaestecker, E., P. Labbé, K. Ellegaard, J. E. Allen and T. J. Little. 2011. Candidate innate immune system gene expression in the ecological model Daphnia. Developmental and comparative immunology 35:1068–1077.
- Alout, H., P. Labbé, N. Pasteur and M. Weill. 2011. High incidence of ace-1 duplicated haplotypes in resistant Culex pipiens mosquitoes from Algeria. Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 41:29–35.
- Labbé, P., P. F. Vale and T. J. Little. 2010. Successfully resisting a pathogen is rarely costly in Daphnia magna. BMC Evolutionary Biology 10:355.
- Tantely, M. L., P. Tortosa, H. Alout, C. Berticat, A. Berthomieu, A. Rutee, J.-S. S. Dehecq, P. Makoundou, P. Labbé, N. Pasteur and M. Weill. 2010. Insecticide resistance in Culex pipiens quinquefasciatus and Aedes albopictus mosquitoes from La Reunion Island. Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 40:317–324.
- Tortosa, P., S. Charlat, P. Labbé, J.-S. S. Dehecq, H. Barre, M. Weill and H. Barré. 2010. Wolbachia age-sex-specific density in Aedes albopictus: a host evolutionary response to cytoplasmic incompatibility? PLoS ONE 5:e9700.
- Labbé, P. and T. J. Little. 2009. ProPhenolOxidase in Daphnia magna: cDNA sequencing and expression in relation to resistance to pathogens. Developmental & Comparative Immunology 33:674–680.
- Alout, H., P. Labbé, A. Berthomieu, N. Pasteur and M. M. M. Weill. 2009. Multiple duplications of the rare ace-1 mutation F290V in Culex pipiens natural populations. Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 39:884–891.
- Djogbénou, L., P. Labbé*, F. Chandre, N. Pasteur and M. Weill. 2009. Ace-I duplication in Anopheles gambiae: a challenge for malaria control. Malaria Journal 8:70.
- Labbé, P., S. J. McTaggart and T. J. Little. 2009. An ancient immunity gene duplication in Daphnia magna: RNA expression and sequence analysis of two Nitric Oxide Synthase genes. Developmental & Comparative Immunology 33:1000–1010.
- Labbé, P., N. Sidos, M. Raymond and T. Lenormand. 2009. Resistance gene replacement in the mosquito Culex pipiens: fitness estimation from long term cline series. Genetics 182:303–312.
- Labbé, P., A. Berthomieu, C. Berticat, H. Alout, M. Raymond, T. Lenormand and M. Weill. 2007. Independent duplications of the acetylcholinesterase gene conferring insecticide resistance in the mosquito Culex pipiens. Molecular Biology and Evolution 24:1056–1067.
- Labbé, P., C. Berticat, A. Berthomieu, S. Unal, C. Bernard, M. Weill and T. Lenormand. 2007. Forty years of erratic insecticide resistance evolution in the mosquito Culex pipiens. PLoS Genetics 3:e205.
- Duron, O., P. Labbé, C. Berticat, F. Rousset, S. Guillot, M. Raymond and M. Weill. 2006. High Wolbachia density correlates with cost of infection for insecticide resistant Culex pipiens mosquitoes. Evolution 60:303–314.
- Labbé, P., T. Lenormand and M. Raymond. 2005. On the worldwide spread of an insecticide resistance gene: a role for local selection. Journal of evolutionary biology 18:1471–84.
- Weill, M., O. Duron, P. Labbé and A. Berthomieu. 2003. La résistance du moustique Culex pipiens aux insecticides: Molecular clues to the insecticide resistance of mosquitoes. M/S: médecine 2–4.
- Labbé, P., J-P. David, H. Alout, L. Djogbénou, N. Pasteur and M. Weill. 2016. Evolution of Resistance to Insecticide in Disease Vectors. Pp. 363–409 in M. Tibayrenc, ed. Genetics and evolution on infectious diseases. 2nd Edition. Elsevier Publishing Compagny, London, U.K.
- G Bernatchez, L. (sous la direction de). 2016. Chapitre 21: Evolution induite par les activités anthropiques (co-auteurs: G. Bœuf, C. Chevillon, H. Frérot, D. Garant, P. Labbé, M. Pauwels, F. Pelletier, M. Raymond, P. Saumitou-Laprade, P. Taberlet, V. Thériault, F. Thomas) in Biologie Evolutive, 2ème édition, edited by F. Thomas, T. Lefèvre et M. Raymond eds. De Boeck Université, Bruxelles, Belgique.
- Labbé, P., H. Alout, L. Djogbénou, N. Pasteur and M. Weill. 2011. Evolution of Resistance to Insecticide in Disease Vectors. Pp. 363–409 in M. Tibayrenc, ed. Genetics and evolution on infectious diseases. Elsevier Publishing Compagny, London, U.K.
- Weill, M., P. Labbé, O. Duron, N. Pasteur, P. Fort and M. Raymond. 2005. Insecticide resistance in the mosquito Culex pipiens: towards an understanding of the evolution of ace genes. Pp. 393–404 in M. D. E. Fellowes, G. J. Holloway, and J. Rolff, eds. Insect Evolutionary Ecology. CABI publishing, Oxon, UK
BioRssay est un script R for the analysis of bioassays (mortality data) and to draw probit mortality graphs (Pascal Milesi, Nicolas Pocquet and Pierrick Labbé, 2013).
It allows taking the mortality in the controls into account, calculates the mortality-dose regressions for multiple strains/lines/pop using a generalized linear model and plots the regressions and the data in a pdf graph. It also provides a test to evaluate the quality of the regression, computes the lethal dose for 50% and 95% of the population (LD50 and LD95, resp.), with their 95% confidence intervals (taking into account the heterogeneity of the data) and calculates the resistance ratios (. It also tests whether the mortality-dose regressions are similar for the different strains/lines/pop.
A detailled “how to use it” manual is provided along with the script and some examples (BioRssay.6.2). Any feedback is welcome!
new in version 6.2: Bug re-fixed: the computing of the data fit to the regression was still erroneous (chi-square test, the function in R is very tricky to use), it has been modified again. Now it does what it is supposed to do.
new in version 6.1: the script now also computes the 95% confidence intervals for regressions and add them in 2 new graphs. Bug fixed: the computing of the data fit to the regression was erroneous (chi-square test), it has been modified.
new in version 5.1: the script now also computes the 95% confidence intervals for the resistance ratios, with the possibility to indicate which strain should be used as the reference for computing these resistance ratios)